Here is a compilation of current funding programs:
- First Nations Elder Grant (March 14th deadline): FNDI expects to make between four and five awards at a maximum amount of $25,000 for projects addressing elderly nutrition. More information and the online application are available at http://www.firstnations.org/grantmaking/2014nafsi.
- First Nations Youth Grant (March 20th deadline): Another First Nations Development Institute grant opportunity is available with their Youth and Culture Fund for projects aimed at addressing a variety of social issues. Approximately 20 grants ranging between $5,000 and $20,000 will be awarded.
- Wallace Center Food Hub Grant (March 30th deadline): The Wallace Center is accepting applications promoting food hubs. Between 15 to 30 applications ranging from $10,000 to $75,000 are expected to be funded.
- Community Food Project (March 31st deadline): USDA’s NIFA (National Institute of Food and Agriculture) is accepting applications for 1) Community Food Projects and 2) Planning Projects to assess food security needs and correlating long-term solutions. Technical Assistance support grants may also be awarded. The maximum awards are $300,000 for CFP and $25,000 for Planning Projects.
- ANA Grant (April 15th deadline): The Administration for Native Americans (ANA), which is part of the US Department of Health and Human Services is currently accepting applications in five different areas. Food and agriculture projects probably best fit under the economic development related areas. Applications, which are due April 15th, may be up to $500,000 and can last multiple years. Here is a list of past grant awards.
- Water for Agriculture (April 17th deadline for letter of intent, August 13 final proposal deadline): NIFA (National Institute of Food and Agriculture) has $6 million of funding available for efforts addressing critical agricultural water issues like drought, excess soil moisture, flooding, quality and others. Tribal governments, non-profits, educational institutions, and individuals are among the eligible entities.
- USDA Farm to School (April 30 deadline): USDA has announced the availability of farm to school grants. There are three types of grants 1) planning, 2) implementation, and 3) support service.
- BIA Climate Change Adaptation Grants (April 30 deadline): The Bureau of Indian Affairs is accepting applications for projects aimed at addressing climate change impacts. Send an email to email@example.com for more information.